when installing SQL Server 2005, I get this error. Can anyone tell me how to sort this out?
- Performance Monitor Counter Requirement (Error)
Performance Monitor Counter Requirement The System Configuration Check for Performance Monitor counter registry value has failed. For details, see How to: Increment the Counter Registry Key for Setup in SQL Server 2005, in the readme file or in SQL Server Books Online.
This solution addresses (from here) your problem:
Follow these steps to manually set the increment for the counter registry key & to overcome this error & proceed further with the SQL Server installation.
- On the Microsoft Windows 2003 or Windows XP desktop, click Start, click Run, type regedit.exe in Open, and then click OK. On Windows 2000, use regedt32.exe The Registry Editor appliction launches.
- Navigate to the following registry key: Quote: [HKEY _ LOCAL _ MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib] "Last Counter"=dword:00000ed4 (5276) "LastHelp"=dword:00000ed5 (5277)
- The "Last Counter" value from the previous step (5276) must match the maximum value of the "Counter" key from "Perflib\009" in the following registry key, and the "Last Help" value from the previous step (5277) must match the maximum value of the "Help" key from "Perflib\009" in the following registry key: Quote: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\009] Note : The "Last Counter" and "Last Help" values are dynamically assigned by Windows; they will vary from machine to machine...
- If necessary, modify the value for the "Last Counter" and "Last Help" values in the "\Perflib" key: Right-click "Last Counter" or "Last Help" in the right-hand pane, click Modify, click Base = "Decimal" set the value in Value data, and then click OK. Repeat for the other key, if necessary, and then close the Registry Editor.
- Restart the machine for the changes to come into effect.
- Run SQL Server Setup again.
This error seams to be related to the Setup Configuration Checker (SCC) in Microsoft SQL Server Setup which verifies the value of the counter registry key before SQL Server installation begins.
Have you checked a google search on this error? (The System Configuration Check for Performance Monitor counter registry value has failed.)
I note that the articles specify having to use Regedt32 to allow the fixes to work.