I am trying to install Windows 7 on my Mac pro, I have tried everything it seems. I have a perfectly good Windows 7 DVD which boots on other devices, yet it doesn't on mine. First off it started with spitting out the DVD (which I can understand ;) ), so I thought its my superdrive. I went and bought a new drive today, except this is a SATA drive and tried to boot from there. It load the DVD fast and easy within OSX, but when I reboot and try to boot from the disk it hops to a flashing Apple logo and a deny logo (circle with a diagonal line thru it).
What am I doing wrong? The DVD is legal, its not an illegal copy (however, I tried that as well.. and didn't work either). I googled it a bit but cannot find any similar problem.
I have now also tried it using Windows 8, downloaded from Microsoft.
I have now also tried it using an Windows XP Disk. Same problem, flashing icons.
I have now also tried:
- Removing all drives and installing OSX 10.6 on one of the 1TB drives. Using bootcamp and installing. Same problem
- Reformatted my 750GB Drive and added MBR support. Formatted as Fat drive. Same problem.
- Removing all drives and trying to boot from disk. Nothing happens, just a white screen.
- Reset the PRAM so many times that I guess the computer almost tells me to give it a brake.
- Tried booting with only C hold down. Same problem.
Nothing seems to help.
Also, I just found this page: http://support.Apple.com/KB/HT2674 According to that page, the problem is:
Circle with Slash - could not load boot.efi, or some other issue
Metallic Apple - found boot.efi.
I tried all evening to restore the firmware, but it just refuses. The sleep light flashes a few times, the tone comes, then the normal sound boot sound comes and OSX boot like it should. I am getting crazy here.
Tested as well with both 10.5 and 10.6 retail disks, they load perfectly. (Maybe due to that they have GUID formatted?)